Gaegogi 개고기

Having Dulce here is a blessing for us but it's certainly not easy for her.  When we adopted Dulce, we had a fenced-in backyard that she could access any time she wanted with her doggy door.  Living in a Korean apartment is the complete opposite but she has adjusted very well.  Korea is not a very dog-friendly country and a dog is certainly not the pet of choice here.  Dulce always gets one of two reactions whenever we are out: the "what a cute dog" reaction or the more often "get that hideous monster away from me" reaction.  I guess that's not surprising in a country that has dog meat as a selection on some menus.  That's right, dog meat (Gaegogi) is actually eaten here.  It can be roasted, boiled, steamed, or prepared in soups and stews.

The eating of dog meat in Korea can apparently be traced back to the Stone Age.  However, in recent years, there have been more and more conflicts about the eating of dog meat and an increasing number of Koreans who are against it.  Dog meat is not a "regular" part of Korean cuisine and it is not typically served in Korean homes, but it is still offered in some restaurants.  Have I seen it yet?  No, but you know I'll take a picture when I do!  Will I ever try it?  Although I am an adventurous eater, I don't eat red meat and I love my pet dog, so the answer is no.

The dogs that are eaten are not just random dogs or pets.  They are bred to be food, much like cows and chickens in the States.  Therefore Dulce is in no real danger but we couldn't help getting her this t-shirt purely for the comic relief it provides on the subject :)


*******
"You learn something every day if you pay attention."
-Ray LeBlond

No comments:

Post a Comment